Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am an automotive mechanic and recently gave my 2 weeks…

Customer Question
I am an automotive...

I am an automotive mechanic and recently gave my 2 weeks notice to my employer and they let me go 2 days later. also a coworker gave his notice and several days later they let him go. now our question is are they supposed to pay us out for the 2 weeks notice.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Sacramento, california

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will employment, full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was let go on the 17 and they have yet to let the 401k people know my termination date, unable to cash out the 401k plan

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/30/2017
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Do you have a written employment contract requiring 2 weeks notice?

Do you believe you were treated differently than other employees due to race, religion, ethnicity, etc.?

there is a employee handbook from 2016 that states that they request 2 week notice for resignations, in the 2017 digital copy of the handbook that statement was left out and I did not know that. no i was not not treated differently. i will say that the service manager says and does very inapropriate things all the time. i always avoided talking to him about my peraonnal life for that reason.

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Unfortunately, without a written employment contract requiring cause for termination, you are, in all likelihood, an at-will employee. As such, you serve at the whim of your employer. They can change your duties, compensation, schedule or even terminate for any reason or no reason at all.

That means that they have no legal obligation to keep you working for the 2 weeks after you give notice and they are only required to pay you for the time you actually worked.

The only exception is that any action taken against you may not be motivated by illegal discrimination (race, religion, disability, ethnicity, etc.) or sexual harassment.

If, upon further deliberation you think that may apply to your situation then you need to make a complaint to the EEOC as soon as possible.

Otherwise, without a claim, as described above, the courts view this as "office politics" and offer no judicial or administrative remedy. In other words, you would need to seek recourse within the HR department.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels on this.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!