Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

If you work 7 hours in New Hampshire does your employer have…

Customer Question
If you work 7...

If you work 7 hours in New Hampshire does your employer have to give you a fifteen minute break?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New Hampsjire

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/30/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

no

Hi, I'm not sure what you're saying no to, unfortunately. Are you saying no to me reviewing your question or no to the automatic phone call request generated by the system?

no to the automated phone call

Oh, that’s not a problem with the phone call. The system automatically asks if you want one, but there is no problem declining the request. One moment while I review your situation.

Ok, So under NH law 275:30-A, an employer cannot force an employee to work longer than seven consecutive hours without at least a 30 minute break. If the employer cannot allow thirty minutes, the employee must be paid if they are eating and working at the same time. So, the answer to your question is yes, you are entitled to at least a 30 minute lunch break, however, that's only if you work five consecutive hours.

What other questions did you have for me?

Tina, Lawyer