Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Well to make a story short..i have been a registered nurse…

Customer Question
Well to make a...

Well to make a long story short..i have been a registered nurse for over 25 years..nursing is almost impossible to do Recently. a family member filed a grievence on me..Because she did not quickly get answers she wanted,, My empoyer,,called me on mynday off..asking me to explain why it took an hour and 10minutes for me to call and schedule an x ray

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

Feel like they are going to fire me

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

No..i got the call yesterday... I do think hr is capable of doing anything...Its the administrator that makes me fear for my job,,,every month or 2 , i am made to feel my job is on the line..its too much pressure..i want to know if i have any rights at all..i am willing to come in,, full time.. i work a lot of over time and been at this facility for just over a year.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I would like a appointment..I want to know if i have any options,,to sue facility or family member.... if i file any claims..do i have to quit my position

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/30/2017
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 4 months ago
John, Employment Lawyer

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response. In the meantime you should save the url link or bookmark this webpage in case you become disconnected and need to return to this page at a later time.

I'll need to ask you some preliminary questions before I can give you an answer to your question. Are you in a union or do you otherwise have a contract for "just cause" (as opposed to “at will" employment which is the default employment condition)? Do you think the administrator who treats you like this has another motive, perhaps your age, race, gender, disability or religious beliefs?

I dont know yet..i have not reciebed a answer.

Yur state, like most states is an employment at will state - meaning you can be disciplined or terminated for any reason that is not otherwise a violation of law. These exceptions are the civil rights protections (e.g., age, race, sex, religion), violations of public policy (e.g., fired for attending jury duty, for refusing to break the law, for reporting illegal activity by the employer (aka a "whistleblower violation"), or having some contractual right to a just cause employment (meaning the employer cannot terminate you without industrial due process - which basically ensures a fair and accurate investigation and decision). Without any of these exceptions, courts find that the employer has a legitimate business right to operate its business however it sees fit and the court will not second-guess the employer. These policies and decisions may in fact be awful and clearly not fair or even make good business sense. However, they are not ultimately unlawful. The type of treatment you've described is not illegal or an exception to the at will employment doctrine.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. If you do not rate the answer positively, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.

John, Employment Lawyer