Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can I apply for Unemployment Benefits a month after my last…

Hi! Can I apply...

Hi! Can I apply for Unemployment Benefits a month after my last day of work? State is MN.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Yes, Minnesota

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Is seasonal full time. The season ends tomorrow.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, thank you

11/30/2017
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for your question, however, I am not sure I understand what the legal issue is. Just to be clear you wondering if it would be too late to apply for benefits after you have been out of work for a month or what exactly is your concern?

I would like to take care of some health issues during that month. After that, I'll be able and available to work.

Alright, well that wasn't exactly responsive to my questions, but I get the general idea which is that you are asking if you will still be able to apply for UI benefits if you wait a month. The answer is yes. There is no problem with waiting a month. The way the State calculates your benefits though is that they take the earnings in the first 4 quarters of the last 5 quarters prior to you apply for benefits. So, it is not advisable for people to wait 5 or 6 months to apply for benefits as that will reduce their UI payout. But, one month isn't going to negatively effect your payments or eligibility in any way.

You merely need to have lost your job through no fault of your own and be able and available to accept full time work.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could let me know by responding to this message that I covered your question and also take a moment to leave a positive rating in the ratings box on this page, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Thank you. I am very satisfied with your help.

You're very welcome.