Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My employer did not pay me my last paycheck. I was a W9

Customer Question
My employer did not...

My employer did not pay me my last paycheck. I was a W9 employee and have documents showing they were a pay period behind. I turned them into Texas workforce. They may get away with not paying who else can turn them into?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I worked in Texas and Oklahoma. Oklahoma said I would have to Persue in court. I'm waiting on Texas to assign someone to investigate.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

It appears to be at will but they breached the contract. It was full time salary labor but subcontractor service if that makes sense

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, I think that's it.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/30/2017
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
You can also file a wage complaint with the US Dept of Labor. See the following link:
https://www.dol.gov/whd/howtofilecomplaint.htm
Otherwise, small claims court would also be available. Small claims court is designed to be a "user friendly", simplified process, so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court. You can get the necessary forms to start from the clerk of the court.
If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
I knew that information. This company has done that to numerous of people. Is it possible that I can turn them into the IRS?
Thank you f9r following up.
Certainly, you can report them to the nearest IRS office if you have evidence of unpaid taxes or other tax fraud. You may even qualify for a reward.
Loren, Lawyer