Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have an unusual situation that started on Tuesday

Customer Question
Hi: I have...

Hi: I have an unusual situation that started on Tuesday 14November2017. I work from home, and on the night in question, there was a problem with my "work monitor" screens freezing while I was taking an inbound customer call. The company that I worked for had their support tech perform a test, and after getting the results, said that I needed to contact my ISP, that their modem is defective. I was instructed that until the technical issues were resolved, I could not return to work. As of today, Wednesday 29November, I no longer have a job because my ISP did not resolve the issue in a timely manner, they also failed to shipped to me a new modem, because it was never processed for shipment, and I had to wait another week before the ISP sent a service technician to my home, to check the line, etc. Also, my employer may have also played a role in my losing my job, because they failed to perform a more thorough check in which their Server system may have been the problem that caused the freezing of the computer screens in the first place( The ISP service technician talked to the employer's support tech about this yesterday... ). Anyway, I'm out of a job, and I believe that both parties to be responsible. Do I have a claim?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I live in the state of Idaho, and the employer is in Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I'm sure the employment is "at will" and was fulltime because of the Holiday Season

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

On Friday 17November, I received an email from my employer, requiring a written commitment from me that I would have the technical issues resolved by the following Monday 20November. In my reply I stated that I could not give the commitment because the ISP could not guarantee when I would receive a new modem to replace the defective modem within the 1-3 business days--It turned out the the shipment for a new modem was never processed, when I called the ISP to complain about it on that Monday...

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/30/2017
Employment Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

First, I'm sorry to hear about this situation. Technology can be very unreliable at times. I am assuming you were an at will employee. I don't see a good claim against your employer as they can let you go with or without cause under an at will employee relationship. Did your ISP know that you need this for work? If you have proof of that, then yes, you may have a claim here against the ISP for the lost job.