Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I had to meet with my manager cause she consistently has…

Customer Question
I had to meet...

I had to meet with my manager b cause she consistently has been scheduling me for over 24 hours per week. I am on SSDI and if I make too much money they garnish my SSDI check. The feds want to take $995 from my next check which would cause me and my family great financial disaster. My manager said “... she thought I just didn’t want to work more hours.” As though my disability doesn’t exist. She claims to have no knowledge of my SSDI status - it’s in my personal file at corporate. Plus, I have complained for almost a full year that she must cut my hours. Apparently there have been conversations with the overnite shift lead and the manager as to my hours and work due to my disability - I have never been included in those talks. The overnight lead has also been relating my disability and/or illness with not only other employees, but with customers too! This is blatant discrimination and blatant lack

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Of personal information being kept personal. Do I have a case hear? I’m quite uncomfortable with the entire situation. Thank you!

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Part time in Minnesota.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not right now, thank you.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/30/2017
Employment Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

I am very sorry about this. At this point, my recommendation is that you submit in writing a complaint about the situation in writing. This provides your company the requisite notice if you were to want to pursue a legal action later.

But won’t my boss use that against me? She insists she knows nothing about my SSDI. My work life is already pretty miserable.

She shouldn't because that would give rise to a different legal claim called retaliation.

Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer