Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

J****** I have had false allegations made in social media…

Customer Question
Hello My name is***********...

Hello My name is*********** I have had false allegations made in social media about me that are unsourced and false and have hurt my career at work

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Illinois have not been terminated due to no proof

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Salaried management Illinois is a at will state

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I basically terminated a shift mgr boyfriend and she then she made a sexual harassment claim against me totally false and unfounded and put in a company chat stating my name thus hurting my Reputation.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/30/2017
Employment Lawyer: Dwayne B., Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

I read your facts, is there a specific question with which I can assist?

I am in management and the situation started because I had a Employee threaten me with physical violence. So my supervisor terminated said employee but this employee had a girlfriend that is a lower level manager and because he was terminated she made a sexual harassment claim against me that is unfounded and false. To farther harrass me she put in the Company chat room and mentioned me by name all sorts of allegations that really hurt my standing with the Company because the aruged others to make false claims which that back fired on her because everyone reported her instructing them to say anything just to further her cause I have suffered since depression pain and suffering embarrassment I pray you can help I have a lot of documention on this.

I appreciate you providing additional facts however, what I really need to know what question you need answered.

Can I sue for slander and or Defamation of character? If so who has the burden of proof and can I go after the Company as well.
I didn't want to call you
It was an accident slip of the thumb sorry

If you receive a notice or email regarding a phone call for an extra price that comes directly from the website and not from me and I have no control over the sending of the notice or email. I don't take part in the telephone program and only work through this format and under your facts this format should be sufficient.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

Yes, you can sue for Defamation/Slander although I am not aware of any attorneys who take these type of cases on a percentage basis and therefore you can expect to spend a minimum of $10,000 in attorney's fees as a retainer. Although the final amount may be higher.

Attorney's fees are not a recoverable item of damages in a Slander/Libel case and verdicts are almost impossible to accurately forecast ahead of time.

Nothing in your facts would indicate that the company could be pursued in a Slander/Libel case since she would had have to of been in the "course and scope" of her employment for the company to be responsible.

The burden on all aspects of the case would be on you just as the burden is always on the plaintiff in a civil case.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

Even if you are a subscriber or have a trial membership please leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so that the website knows I have answered your question.

I can sue her and represent myself correct?

Certainly you are allowed to represent yourself. However, slander cases are extremely difficult and require a lot of legal research.

Can I apply for a fee waiver

If you mean applying for a waiver of the filing fees then certainly you can apply for it but they are rarely granted if you have a job and are not indigent. There is no such thing as a fee wavier for attorney's fees in a civil case.

Can my employer come after me for filing suit?
Hello
Forget it

There is no law specifically preventing an employer from taking action against an employee in a situation like this but likely there could be some type of Open Courts argument which could be made. There are certain types of non-retaliation statutes but they are specific as to certain types of lawsuits such as an employer terminating you because you sue for sexual harassment.