Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I filed a race harrassment claim at work and the person was…

Customer Question
I filed a race...

I filed a race harrassment claim at work and the person was fired. This person is now stating that I engaged in inappropriate conversation and now my company is looking into what was said about me. How can I handle this? I think is in retaliation.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

GA

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/30/2017
Employment Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

I am sorry to hear that. I would submit a formal denial in writing of his allegations. At this point it is just wait and see but if they take any punitive action then you may need to file a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

What could happen if it is a he said she said situation? What can an employer do if this is the case?

There is no exact answer to your last question. Presumably if both stories conflict and they cannot clarify then they may simply give you a written warning or note in your employment file.

If someone is accused of saying something inappropriate at work and there are no dates and times documented...Is this solid evidence?
No it would be viewed as hearsay

Please let me know if you have any additional questions, otherwise a positive rating would be greatly appreciated.