Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was fired from my employment after 6 month full time

Customer Question
I was fired from...

I was fired from my employment after 6 month full time because my supervisor found out i was looking for the same work with a $5/hr raise on my own time from another company. After he fired me he said the only way i could continue to work there was to sign a "no compete"

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time promised raise 4 month prior. no repermans no write ups ever no sick days

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Never a cross word ,never late ,perfect employee

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/30/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks for your patience on this. I'm sorry to hear about this situation. What specific questions did you have for me regarding this?

is it legal to fire someone looking for a better job on their own time

Thanks for your patience on this. I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately, it is legal for an employer in TX to fire someone for that reason. In TX, it is an at-will state. This means that an employer can terminate you for any reason or no reason or for no reason at all. This means that if the employer was not happy with you looking for a better paying job, then they could do that. They just can't terminate you for your gender, age, disability, race, or religious affiliation.

What I would recommend in this place is speaking with your employer honestly about your situation. If you were looking for a better paying job, you could explain that this slight raise was going to be something that could really help you out in the aggregate. You could explain that if you are a perfect employee, then replacing you is going to be difficult and that although you would like to keep working there, a small raise or a chance at bonuses could really go a long way. It sounds like the employer was personally offended that you did this and because of that, this gives you a window of opportunity to be able to explain to them what you need and how you can meet their needs. Again, I'm very sorry.

What other questions did you have for me today?

can i file for unemployment?
Good question. Did you quit or get terminated?
Fired
Then yes. Unless it was for gross misconduct. That's be something like stealing, sexual misconduct, etc.
Tina, Lawyer