Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Does the Labor Management Reporting and Discloser Act cover

Hello Does the Labor Management Reporting...
Hello
Does the Labor Management Reporting and Discloser Act cover public employees such as NY state troopers, if it does not could you please guide me in the right direction for a cause of action I could use that are similar to the issues covered In the LMRDA.
Thank You
11/29/2017
John, Employment Lawyer

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response. In the meantime you should save the url link or bookmark this webpage in case you become disconnected and need to return to this page at a later time.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please take your time.

Off the top I will tell you this - the LMRDA does not apply to state employees per Section 3 e of the Act. However, unions that represent both state and private sector units are covered by the act. Police units do not represent private sector employees. Thus, the LMRDA would not be applicable to that union. https://www.casemine.com/judgement/us/5914b85dadd7b04934784c0b

New York does not have an equivalent law to the LMRDA, but it has a fairly close law (the labor and management improper practices Act) that limits labor organizations from having pecuniary interests in/with the employer and requiring various financial reporting. If the union, however, is not following its bylaws or constitution etc. that is solely a matter of contract and must be pursued in general civil court after exhausting the internal appeal process.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation - simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

John, Employment Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Good score on the labor and manegment improper practices act.
Thank You

You're welcome!

John, Employment Lawyer