Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I want some information on how to go about filing a law suit…

Customer Question
I want some information...

I want some information on how to go about filing a law suit against my former employer for discrimination of religion and sexual harassment.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was told that I also had a discrimination against age too. As I was told I had a younger bladder than my supervisor did and why i went to restroom where she only went 2-3 times/day.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/29/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Under California law, you are required to first file an administrative complaint with the Department of Fair Employment & Housing before filing a lawsuit in civil court for discrimination or sexual harassment. The DFEH will investigate and attempt to mediate a resolution with your employer. That not forthcoming, they will either file a lawsuit on your behalf or issue you a "right to sue" letter, which will enable you to then sue in civil court with the assistance of an attorney. See here to initiate the DFEH complaint process.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you.

i contacted the department of labor and was told I had a case for discrimination of religion, age and sexual harassment. but was not instructed where to go further. Obviously I had never been in this situation before. I tried to take FMLA for stress, but was not able to (did not qualify)
What can i do now

You need to fill out this intake form and move forward with your DFEH complaint.

You should also see about retaining a local attorney. Most employment attorneys work on a pure contingency fee basis, meaning there are no up front fees, just a percentage of what you recover as a fee. You can locate an attorney here.

Again if there is anything more I can do for you just let me know. It's my pleasure....

Was there anything else I can do for you before we wrap up?

If I have answered your questions, please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the attorneys here are not employees of the site and otherwise do not receive credit for spending time with customers. Best wishes to you as you move forward here.