Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have been working for a company since April. The agreement…

Customer Question
I have been working...

I have been working for a company since April. The agreement was that I would receive $50,000 a year with a average work week of 45hrs. I worked all hours offered to me with the exception of 15.5hrs which I took off for a wedding and other time was because I was sick. They did not have the work load they thought they would have slow I am averaging less than the 45hrs. This last week I received a partial check due to work slowing down in the winter months. They also changed my salary to hourly. Can they do this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Wisconsin

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full Time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What the cost?

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Ok

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/29/2017
Employment Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Do you have an actual written employment contract, for example a year contract, that sets out your duties and compensation?

.

Is this a private employer or a governmental one?

.

.

thanks

Nothing that was signed I have a letter that states $50,000. He is a private company

Ok, you aren't going to like this, but unless you are a governmental employee or are under an employment contract, all employment in WI is considered "at will". What this means is that an employee can quit or an employer can fire or change the terms of employment (change hours, location, duties, pay, etc.) at any time for any or no reason at all.

.

While what the employer did in changing your pay structure was inequitable and unfair, it was not illegal.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks

Ok Thanks, That will be all I need.

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time, even though the news was kind of lousy..

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much