Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I HAVE 100,000 in medpay benefits. It is my understanding is…

Customer Question
I HAVE 100,000 in...

I HAVE 100,000 in medpay benefits. It is my understanding is that Virginia requires that the carrier by up to their limits and cannot reduced my medical charges as submitted for reimbursement. Is medpay considered a health care provider according to 8.01-27.5?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet. State Farm is horrible with paying out first party claims.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/28/2017
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Medpay as part of a car insurance policy is not considered a healthcare provider. They provide payment for medical costs for insured involved in accidents. The insurer in an accident case is entitled to subrogation, meaning they are entitled to pursue any third party found to be at fault and if the insured pursues an at fault third party, the insurer is allowed to seek reimbursement from any settlement or judgment the insured receives.

Medpay as well as any other insurance in VA, may receive preferred rates, but they are not a healthcare insurer per se and 8.01-27.5 applies to network insurers.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.