Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My employer just gave me a note in my paycheck stating

Customer Question
My employer just gave...

My employer just gave me a note in my paycheck stating starting on the 11th of de. will be the last payday for that week and perminently will be on thurs, the 21st

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Md.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time been there for 10 years never had a weeks pay held use to get paid on fri, then he changed it to mon, now he wants to go till thurs,

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No just upset about this now after 10 years

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/27/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

no I don't mind go ahead

Great, thank you! Bear with me a moment while I review…

Thanks so much for your patience. Generally, in Maryland, employees in Maryland must be paid at least once every two weeks or twice in a month. However, Executive, Professional and Administrative employees may be paid less frequently. Thus, depending on the nature of your work, you may be paid once per month. However, if you aren't an executive (e.g. V.P. of Finance), Professional (e.g. Attorney, accountant) or Administrative employee (e.g. customer service, secretary, etc.) then you can be paid less. Also, employers are generally allowed to change the pay dates. I'm sorry about your situation. What other questions did you have for me today?

this is legal for him to hold a week back after 10 years of employment

Unfortunately, if they are changing the pay dates, they should give you more advanced notice; however, so long as they are paying you consistent with state law, they are able to change the pay dates with little or no notice. This is the case even if you have been there for ten years, sadly.

wow thanks for your help

You bet. If you click here, you can see some frequently asked questions about wages in the state of Maryland. perhaps there is something that governs your situation more specifically, but I wasn't able to find it. Also, here’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

3. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.

4. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!