Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can a pre employment background check for a state agency…

Customer Question
Can a pre employment...

Can a pre employment background check for a state agency include a firing?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

Yes. They said all they do is verify if a former employees title and duties.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/27/2017
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Yes, it is not uncommon for a potential employer to contact former employers to verify the information given regarding dates (start and end) and duties.

Typically, most former employers avoid going into further detail about the former employer because of the potential exposure for defamation claims.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

its fine to continue online.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

did you email me your response? I don't see it?

This is what I posted:

can they ask any other questions like..would you hire this person again?

They can ask, most HR depts have a strict policy of only releasing start and stop dates, salary and title.

Otherwise, they could have exposure for defamation.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Lawyer