Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I just received my medical insurance card the first of

Customer Question
November from my employer. i...
i just received my medical insurance card the first of November from my employer. i received a letter saying that they are taking installment payments of out my paycheck for October as well because I was covered but i had no card and didn't sign the paper work until the last of October. How can they do that? I talked to Human Resources and she said we handed in our application late. Regardless, we had not clue we were covered. I could of used the insurance had I known i was covered. the application I signed has a November date on it. what can i do?
Bev
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/27/2017
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Legally, the employer can only charge you for the time you had coverage and if you were told you had coverage in November and not October, then you need to inform the employer you would like reimbursement and if they refuse, then you can file a complaint with the US Department of Labor benefits division as they handle employee benefits and can make the employer reimburse you or give you credit. IF the Department of Labor cannot get the employer to correct this, you can sue the employer in small claims and get the court to order reimbursement.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.