Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My wife has been with her employer for 2 years in January.

Customer Question
My wife has been...

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

We are in Colorado. She was hired on as a manager. Over the last few months they have been requiring her to make dramatic changes to her schedule in order to accommodate friends of the owner who were given positions with the company. Now they are telling her that she needs to take a cut in pay and hours to accommodate the new moves that the company has made. They are telling her she has to take a pay cut, but they are not giving her any reason. They did not do a performance evaluation and she has had no complaints, only praise, on her job performance. We are frustrated and not sure what her rights are in this situation.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that is the jist

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/27/2017
Employment Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. The first thing that you need to know is that Colorado is an "at will" employment state. At-will employment means that without a contract, you have no contractual or other right to employment with the company. The company is entitled to fire you for any reason: a good reason, a poor reason, or no reason at all--as long as the company does not fire you for an illegal reason (race, gender, age, religion, etc...). But it extends beyond firing, to hiring, promotions, demotions, wage cuts and raises, disciplinary actions, and even scheduling. Unless you can show that this was done in violation of a contract, union agreement, or a clear violation of an unambiguous and binding clause against the employer, or that it was done because of some minority status (age, race, gender, religion, disability) that you have, then they do have this discretion.

Any issues with complaints, job performance (positive or negative), etc... are all internal. Again, so long as it's not based on race, age, religion, gender, or disability, or in retaliation for doing any protected activity (FMLA leave, filing an EEOC case, etc...), they can do this. This is certainly in the case of hiring friends, family, etc..., as there's no nepotism or cronyism laws for private companies.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.