Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was looking for some aasistance in finding a lawyer to…

Customer Question
I was looking for...

I was looking for some aasistance in finding a lawyer to represent me, I want to file a lawsuit against my employer for discrimination and wrongful termination.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

OH

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full employee, I was employed at OSU Ross Heart Hospital

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I believe its at will

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/27/2017
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

How long ago was the wrongful termination?

Have you filed a complaint with the EEOC?

11/22/17. My head mgr was waiting for me at the beginning of my sbift to hand me the paperwork and I dont believe I have filed a claim with EEOC. Just with the company itself to Human Reaources and Affirmative Action

Thank you for the additional information.

If what you say can be proven then you have a claim for hostile work environment based upon illegal discrimination. The minimum requirements to sustain the claim is called the "prima facie" case. Courts have come up with a four-part test that employees must meet to establish a prima facie case of discrimination under Title VII. If an employee can present evidence of each element, the employer will then have to present evidence that its decision was not discriminatory. If an employee can't make a prima facie case, the employer can ask the judge to dismiss the lawsuit.

The elements of a prima facie discrimination case are:

The employee is in a protected class (based on race, gender, and so on).

The employee was qualified for the position.

The employee was fired or subject to other disparate treatment.

An employee outside of the protected class was given preferential treatment.

Once you are able to establish that you were subject to disparate treatment, the burden shifts to the employer to show that there was a legal reason for the adverse action taken against you.

To start the process, contact the EEOC at www.eeoc.gov for more information on filing a complaint.

An attorney is not required, but it would be invaluable in this type of claim. It is not simple litigation and there is no reason you need to learn as you go. Additionally, if you prevail, you would be awarded your attorney fees and many attorneys who handle this type of claim, do so on a contingency fee basis. So, it should not cost you anything upfront.

If you need help finding local counsel, try Martindale Hubble. Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

Loren, Lawyer