Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am classified "per diem" The company hires all in my

Customer Question
I am classified "per...

I am classified "per diem" The company hires all in my department as such. there are 30 in my department and only 6 classified as "full time" the full time and per diem are paid the same hourly rate. I have consistently worked the same shift of 35 hours for the past 6 months. do they have to offer me the same benefits as the full time? as per diem, i am not entitled to holiday pay if i work a holiday.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Massachusets

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

They just had us all sign an "at will agreement"

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/27/2017
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

If company for all purposes treats you as an employee but labels you per diem to avoid paying benefits, that is illegal and you may contest it with HR and if needed through employment counsel with the labor department and by negotiation with company. Please let me know if that is fast and acceptable.

awaiting your reply.