Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am the victim of retaliation in my job and have been

Customer Question
I am the victim...

I am the victim of retaliation in my job and have been demoted in title, but not in pay. HR claims that it is not a demotion because my pay has remained the same.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I work for Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court full-time, salary. No union.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am age 60, a female, have been passed over many times for a position that was given to lesser qualified individuals, and I work in a corrupt system where jobs are given to individuals according to their connections, not ability.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/27/2017
Employment Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Any negative behavior based on illegal reasonsing is still actionable; so a demotion with equal pay is still considered a violation. I am sorry you have experienced ongoing issues at work; that would make going to work very difficult. in order to have a case for discrimination or wrongful termination or hostile work environment or retaliation, the employee must have been victimized due to his/her status in a protected class, including race, gender, religion etc. or prove that the employer acted out of retaliation.
Categories are explained in detail here:
https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/
This explains harassment, which is the basis for a hostile work environment claim:
https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/harassment.cfm
If there is discrimination based on retaliation, the employee may:
1. file an EEOC complaint here:
https://www.eeoc.gov/employees/charge.cfm

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here: