Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I recently lost a part time position with an After School…

Customer Question
Good Morning! I...

Good Morning! I recently lost a part time position with an After School Program. I received a letter stating that I was an at-will employee and can be terminated at anytime without any reason. However, I've been suffering with ciatic nerve pain for several months and am currently in the process of receiving medical treatment. I believed I was terminated, due to my physical condition, because my employee requested I reduce my hours approximately 1 month ago, because of the ciatic nerve muscle spasms in my leg. I went to the doctor and was told to keep it moving and given some muscle relaxers, however the pain persisted, but I continued to work and refused to reduce my hours. I was only a 4 hour a day employee and saw no need to reduce my hours. This displeased my supervisor and therefore, I was presented with a letter of termination on November 16, 2017. Is there anything I can do, and do I have any rights?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I worked in the District of Columbia, for a contract company with a district of Columbia public school.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Employment was At-Will.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is the basically, what occurred.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/27/2017
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 7 months ago
John, Employment Lawyer

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response. In the meantime you should save the url link or bookmark this webpage in case you become disconnected and need to return to this page at a later time.

You could make the case that the employer believed you are disabled (i.e. regarded you is disabled) under the Americans with disabilities act. Thus, you were discriminated against because and assume disability. To pursue this you would have to file a charge with the equal employment opportunity commission. While it is true employers can terminate people at will, that does not allow them to violate the law in the process of the termination.The EEOC would investigate the workplace at no charge to you and make a determination of whether discrimination occurred. If the EEOC finds discrimination, they attempt to work out a resolution or, if a resolution cannot be reached, they'll either sue the employer or allow you to sue them in federal court. If this sounds like something you're interested in, you can learn how and where to file a charge with them. See https://www.eeoc.gov/employees/howtofile.cfm

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation - simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Thank You! You have provided me with insight, into my termination, and the information you provided is very helpful!!!!

You're welcome. Please leave a positive rating before you exit this chat as it is the only way I get credit for my answers. If you have any questions in the future regarding this matter come back to this thread and I'll be happy to answer. Thanks and good luck with the matter.