Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I averaged $5.35 per hour on my last commission paycheck…

Customer Question
I averaged $5.35 per...

I averaged $5.35 per hour on my last commission paycheck that I received on last Friday. According to this my employer should have had to still pay me minimum wage even though I’m commission?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Iowa

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am also charged backbar “deductions” for each service I provide. How is that leagal when I am a commission salon so they make money off of my services and product is a tax deduction for owning a business...

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/26/2017
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 7 months ago
John, Employment Lawyer

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response. In the meantime you should save the url link or bookmark this webpage in case you become disconnected and need to return to this page at a later time.

Under the Fair Labor Standards Act even commissioned employees must still make at least minimum wage per hour. Thus, when commissions do not meet or exceed minimum wage, the employer must make up the difference. The employer could then deduct the amount it had to pay in addition to commissions from later checks when meeting minimum wage is not an issue. Commission agreements are generally a matter of contract, and there are no laws prohibiting the employer from making deductions from the commission for various expenses.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. If you do not rate the answer positively, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.