Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Had a accident on my bosses property on 25 of August broke…

Customer Question
Had a accident on...

Had a accident on my bosses property on 25 of August broke my leg. I've been out of work up untill the 22nd of Nov. I which now I'm on light duty only and will be untill Doctor says otherwise. I still have not received any workman comp.nor any compsation for my condition. The boss thought I was going to suck it up I assume so my wife and I hire a lawyer in Clayton. Still dragging out. I want to sue my bosses company my lawyer is not doing his job I'm not sure what to do and now I'm perty broke other than the money I've saved for my family in which I've spent about 6,000 of it to pay bills and mortgage .its not right.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Missouri

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The property is under Southtown Investments my boss waited untill I asked my supervisor if he thought the boss would be upset if I asked his homeowners for some compensation since I injured my leg on his property and I was not on the clock .

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Then the following day he called me to inform me than he called Workman comp.This was a week or two after the fall.They asked me if I was on the clock at the hospital and I told them No.I feel he in the wrong and I’m paying for his mistakes. In other words his insurance should be paying.ive worked for this man for 22 years.
It’s not right for me haveing to struggle because he trying to cheat the system .Allso he told me to tell Workman comp. people he directed me there so they would help me.This is working on my nerves and at the beginning I just wanted compensation.My wife and I are kinda fighting over this bullshit.Its not right .
When Workman comp called me I sent them to the lawyer. He inform
me this happens all the time.I did ask for my vacation money which I got up until Workman comp. people told them not to.My boss and I worked allot together over the years so I assumed we were good friends. Well gess not. When he found out I hire a lawyer we haven spoken sence. The workman’s comp people told him about the lawyer.
This situation kinda sucks call me
If you have any questions. Bill are comeing in sending information to lawyer no real info comeing from him. I don’t need any credit problems.Thank You
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/26/2017
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 5 months ago
John, Employment Lawyer

Something isn't quite making sense with your matter. Generally, to get compensation for a work injury, workers compensation is your exclusive remedy. Yet, when the workers' comp carrier asked whether you were "on the clock" while on your bosses property - you answered "no"?....which would take his workers comp carrier off the hook. Yet, if you weren't working, and there was something negligent of your boss as a landowner which caused you to incur the injury, then his property insurance should cover your injury.

So, the first question is - were you injured while working?...and if so why did you tell the workers comp people you weren't.

The second question would be, if this t wasn't while you were working, was the property somehow negligently maintained to cause your injury?

Oh! Forgot to tell you a close friend loaned me $5,000 to help me with things I needed to help me with anything needed.(Real friend)

Here's my assessment of your matter. You either have a workers comp claim, if you were, in fact, working while you were injured or you have a negligence claim against your boss (and his property insurance) for the injury on his premises. However, for the negligence claim, you'd have to be able to prove the boss kept his property in ill repair somehow, which caused your injury.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

John, Employment Lawyer