Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Been working 4 a trucking company for two months and only…

Customer Question
Been working 4 a...

Been working 4 a trucking company for two months and only received one pay check//I quit two weeks ago because of UNSAFE EQUIPMENT ON THE ROAD I HAD TOO DRIVE //now they refuse too pay me ,saying the check is in the mail.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the truck?

Washington state the tractor is 2015//my issues was the trailers with no REGISTRATION or any certification of recent INSPECTIONS and one even had inspection form signed by the OWNER and not a CERTIFIED MECHANIC

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

AT WILL and FULL TIME THESE equipment problems could have got me a ticket so I quit as company REFUSED to solve the problems

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Bald tires bad brakes they new about and yet sent equipment out on the road

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/26/2017
Employment Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information. I don't see where you have asked a legal question, but will assume, for the sake of time, that you are asking what your legal options are to get the money you are due. If you were a W-2 employee, then you have the choice of filing a wage claim with the State of Washington and can find out how to at the following link: https://secure.lni.wa.gov/wagecomplaint/#

You could also, if you prefer, file a small claims court case on your on. It is fairly simple but you will carry the burden of proof to show exactly what you are owed, etc.

If you were an independent contractor, then your only option, assuming that you cannot resolve this with the Company, is to file the small claims court suit I mentioned above.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to let me know that I covered your question by replying to this answer and also leave a positive rating in the ratings box on this page of my efforts to explain what your options are, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 26th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me, even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.