Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

If my father was two years from retiring and had a pension…

Customer Question
Hello, If my father was two...
If my father was two years from retiring and had a pension plan with Teamsters local 20 in Toledo, Ohio and he got sick with NMS and about a month before he passed away( he worked full time until he got sick and went into hospital about three months prior to dying). And teamsters deemed him unable to go back to work. Cancelled his health insurance while he was on life support. He had to go into hospice to die and they told my family he wouldn't get any of his pention. Is this legal. He paid into this pention his whole career. Can they do that? We got nothing and basically lost everything when he died?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Nms is Neurologic Malignant Syndrome. It was caused because he was scyzophranic and took a regular med for it and doctors prescribed a second med that you cannot take with the Depicote Wich wasn't caught by the pharmacy whilst giving it to him , he took it and the NMS happened and he died about 3 or four months later. Before that he always worked full time. He left everything to my sister and I. I believe we were the beneficiary. But my mom was entitled to half of the pension because of their marriage even though when he died they were divorced. Is there anything I can do at this point.
11/26/2017
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

His pension should not be gone when he died if he had a beneficiary named on his pension. Furthermore, they could not just cancel his insurance without notice just because he was sick (although this is a typical lowlife unethical Teamster tactic). At this point you first need an attorney to open up probate on the estate of your father (even if he had no property, as he has a legal claim and that is the only way to pursue it). Once probate is open and an administrator named, then you can engage an employee benefits attorney and sue the union for their unfair conduct and breaching their pension plan contract and insurance contract with your dad.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.