Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Now If I did all of the pre trial services, does that mean…

Customer Question
Now If I did all...
Now If I did all of the pre trial services, does that mean the conviction was dropped or rejected or on hiatus? This was 18 years ago , so I’m not sure of the outcome . All I know is I put that charges were dropped in the past 4 certification renewals and I got cleared .
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/26/2017
Employment Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Employment Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago

Yes, if you successfully completed a pre trial diversion program, then that means the charge against you would have been dismissed.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Did you happen to read the question prior about my Case being ajudoxation withheld , then I took the pretrial courses... is that still dismissed?
Employment Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago

It did not have access to the other question at the time I answered this question, but it is visible to me now.

If you were given a withhold of adjudication and ordered to take some classes, etc. then unfortunately that does not mean that the charges were dismissed.

It does however mean that you were not convicted.

The best wasy I can describe it is that an adjudication withheld ranges somewhere in between a conviction and a dismissal ...it's definitely not a conviction, but it's also not an outright dismissal.

When someone enrolls in pre trial diversion (which I mentioned above in my first resposne), they usually have to plead guilty to the charge, then once they complete the terms of the program, the charge is actually revisited and that guilty plea is changed to a dismissal.

I hope that helps clarify things! Let me know if you still have any questions.

​Please take a moment to leave a positive rating for me, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

I had pleaded nolo contendere. And then abdication withheld which then led me to completing my prediversoon classes.
Employment Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago

Okay, based on that information, if you did in fact enroll in and complete a pre trial diversion program, then that means yes, the charges would have been dismissed.

It would be best to pull your court records and take a look at your final case disposition to find out definitively what your final plea and case disposition was.

I hope that helps!

Please remember to click 'Finish' and leave a positive rating so that I can be credited for my help with your question. 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

I tried looking for my records last night and I couldn’t find them on the county of clerks website
Employment Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago

You need to either go in person or call the Clerk of Court and have them locate your records in their physical files.

The physical files are kept at the clerk's office, at the courthouse, and in most cases are not able to viewed online.

I hope that helps clarify!

Employment Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones