Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My unemployment benefits were suspended. Because I filed…

Hi my unemployment benefits were...
Hi my unemployment benefits were suspended. Because I filed disability. I was givin wrong information from the social security administration. I have a lung disease .i was laid off from my job in August 2017.i have idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis .which eventually I maybe a transplant. I can do certain jobs I just can not working outside. I'm getting a note from my pulmonologist saying that I can work some jobs.will I get my unemployment benefits back
Hello
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I didn't mean to hit call me
I haven't gotten a response yet
Why taking so long
11/25/2017
John, Employment Lawyer

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response. In the meantime, you should save the url link or bookmark this webpage in case you become disconnected and need to return to this page at a later time.

Here's the problem you face here - in order to get Social Security Disability (SSDI) you cannot be able to work any job in the economy. In order to get unemployment you must be able to work some job, even within disability work restrictions. A social security attorney would tell you not to apply because your application for unemployment itself can be used against you. In practice, social security may or may not hold it against you, and they may or may not have compassion for your case and realize you cannot afford to go without some income for the time period of application for SSDI benefits.

You will get your unemployment benefits back with the facts you state, but I would then be concerned that the pulmonologist's opinion on your ability to work would be held against you.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

I do want to work but I do have minor limitations. Yes my illness will eventually progress.but as off now.im will be reevaluated in 6 months. I would have never applied for disability but social security administration said it was okay.
I'm not concerned about disability right now.if I were to have such a surgery. It could be a long time. All my doctors say it's ok for me to do work.if I were to have such a surgery the ssa says I automatically disabled

I see. A couple things I'll add here - 1) you should then be able to submit to unemployment that you are ready, willing and able to work just in a slightly limited fashion; 2) you can either withdraw your application for SSDI or let in run and see how your medical condition goes - it takes them 6 months approximately to make a decision on application, and if you're denied, another 15 months to get an appeal hearing. So it may be a good idea to just let the SSDI application run and see what happens. Even if you are granted benefits you can still work and if the condition gets to the point you cannot work, you get put back on claim 9rather than have to re-apply).

Hope this helps. Thanks.

John, Employment Lawyer