Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can I change my work status at my job, and have my employer…

Customer Question
Can I change my...

Can I change my work status at my job, and have my employer pay me under my business name under my E.I.N number?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Union, full time

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/25/2017
Employment Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 7 months ago
Edward Young

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a moment to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.​

What type of work do you do?

Employment Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 7 months ago

To work as an independent contractor instead of an employee requires that the work be of a limited term and not ongoing. Also, an independent contractor must bring his own tools and does not have any of the benefits of an employee—health insurance, savings plans, dental plans, unemployment insurance, etc. The benefit to you is that no taxes are withheld from your draw (you don’t get a regular paycheck like employees do). You schedule your draws and you do not get the last draw until the work is done to your client’s satisfaction. Of course, you must pay taxes on your income on your annual tax return.

Is this what you want to do?