Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My girlfriend was sexually harassed at work by a coworker.

Customer Question
My girlfriend was sexually...

My girlfriend was sexually harassed at work by a coworker. Would she get arrested for that?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Maine

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I’m pretty sure part time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Other than continually hitting on her for the entirety of their work relationship. She has grabbed her innapropriately and they only suspended her

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/22/2017
Employment Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Employment Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

I'm sorry to hear this happened to your girlfriend. Give me just a few minutes to type up some information for you, thanks!

Thank you
Employment Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

Yes, this person could and should be arrested for this.

They commited an assault against your girlfriend.

In Maine, the crime of assult takes place when someoe intentionally, knowingly or recklessly causing offensive physical contact or bodily injury to another person. That would cover what happened here to your girlfriend.

Simple assault is a Class D crime, punishable by up to 364 days in jail and up to a $2,000.00 fine.

Your girlfriend should file a police report as soon as possible. The fact that the person was suspended from work provides further proof that the assault occurred.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Employment Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!