Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I Jody Moody work at Bernhardt #6. We had a meeting about…

Customer Question
I Jody Moody work...

I Jody Moody work at Bernhardt #6. We had a meeting about people going outside and smoking on Bernhardt's time. Today 5 minutes before the buzzer I was working on a personal project for home and was took in the office and wrote up. People are still going outside and smoking during working hours and talking on cell phones and management knows this and nothing is being done about it. What can I do about this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

North Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I feel like I am being pointed out and being made an example out of.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/21/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Expert Justin, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Expert Justin

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I'll be the Expert assisting you today. What buzzer are you referring to? Were you outside smoking or working on a personal project?

I am referring to the buzzer for break. I was working on a personal project. Other people are going outside and smoking, standing around talking among other things and I was singled out.

Unfortunately, there is not much you can do in this situation. Employers are free to selectively punish their employees and they are not required to punish all employees in the same manner. I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you, but employers hold most of the power in these types of situations when there is no union.