Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I'm currently manager for a large automotive group in

Customer Question
I'm currently manager for...

I'm currently manager for a large automotive group in southern California. I received a call from my HR department yesterday to discuss and give a statement fact for a incident that took place a week ago about another manager. HR department is now requesting that I email them a statement of fact of the incident. I'm I obligated to send HR a email statement of facts?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California, Los Angeles county

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, If I'm not obligated. How should I respond to the request?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/21/2017
Employment Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

There is no law that requires you to respond. That said, there is no law that would prohibit your employer from terminating you if you refuse.

So you can refuse....but if you do? The employer can fire you.

Certainly you, as a manager, can appreciate that...that is, if you requested information from a subordinate and they refused to respond, you may consider firing that subordinate, no?

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil