Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My granddaughter is working at Starbucks linked to a

Customer Question
My granddaughter is working...

My granddaughter is working at Starbucks linked to a Jewel-Osco in Illinois.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Sorry, I didn't finish. Starbucks linked to a Jewel-Osco in Illinois. She was hired as a part-time employee. She has been working 50 hours a week and has worked 12 days without a day off. Is this legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Sorry, don't know. There is a union and she is part time.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just want to know the legality of what is happening with this. Thank you.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/21/2017
Employment Lawyer: attyadvisor, Attorney replied 5 months ago
attyadvisor
attyadvisor, Attorney

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you.

Working at the Starbucks should make her an employee of Jewel-Ocso. Do you know if she in facts is a Jewel or Starbucks employee?

Has she contacted her union representative?

"Illinois labor laws require employers to pay employees overtime at a rate of 1½ time their regular rate when they work more than 40 hours in a workweek, unless otherwise exempt. IL Dept. of Labor FAQs. See FLSA: Overtime for more information regarding overtime requirements." https://www.employmentlawhandbook.com/wage-and-hour-laws/state-wage-and-hour-laws/illinois/

Tina, Lawyer