Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have a friend that has just learned she has colon cancer.

Customer Question
I have a friend...

I have a friend that has just learned she has colon cancer. She signed a paper to start short term and long term disabilitycat work, but it doesn't start until January. Is there an emergency fund in Ky for short term disability? Her income level would definitely fall in a low category. Thanks for any info you may have, Debbie

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Eminence, Ky

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, she just found out and sees the dr tomorrow. Of course she's concerned that she will have no income during recovery after surgery.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/21/2017
Employment Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good afternoon,

I'm very sorry to hear about your friend. There are not any short-term emergency funds in Kentucky for disabled residents, but there are organizations and programs that may be able to provide her some assistance. You can see a list of the programs along with the description of what they offer and their contact information here.

Your friend may also wish to look into applying for SSDI through Social Security if she believes she will be unable to work for a year or more due to her disability. It can take a long time to get approved for Social Security disability (18-24 months would not be unheard of), so best she start the process if she is considering it.

Was there anything I could clarify for you or additional information you needed about this question? If so, please reply without rating, and I'm happy to assist you further. Your complete satisfaction is my goal.

If not, please remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. Experts like myself are not employees of this site. We receive no salary and no payment until a customer leaves a positive rating. Thank you.