Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I would like to take on Bank of America for a wrongful

Customer Question
I would like to...

I would like to take on Bank of America for a wrongful termination suit. If anyone would be willing for pro bona work call me.(###) ###-#### Thanks, Nichole

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NC

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, not on my behalf.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Please connect me with the best you have. I did nothing wrong but ask for a phone call.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/21/2017
Employment Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. We are not a firm or a site where you can hire attorneys -we are a question and answer site. I can give you information on how to find an attorney using various resources (though site rules prohibit me from giving you names of specific lawyers or firms) and am I happy to answer questions regarding your termination, but if you are looking for a lawyer on this site, you may wish to contact customer support at***@******.*** and request a refund.

My termination was ridiculous. I asked a question from my employer and she didn't take the time to answer. My response was..when you give me the respect I deserve, I will follow suit. I was fired because I didn't kiss anyone's behind.

Did you have an employment contract or union agreement? Most people don't, as those are very rare, but I need to know to give you a complete answer.

I'm going to assume that you had no employment agreement or union contract, which would make you an at-will employee. If you are employed at will, your employer does not need good cause to fire you. They can fire you just because they want to, basically. Just like you could quit at any time, they can terminate you at any time. In every state but Montana (which protects employees who have completed an initial "probationary period" from being fired without cause), employers are free to adopt at-will employment policies, and many of them have. In fact, unless your employer gives some clear indication that it will only fire employees for good cause, the law presumes that you are employed at will.

As such, while I agree the reason for your termination was ridiculous and unfair, legally speaking, it was legal, and would not necessarily be considered a wrongful termination.

Even if you are an at-will employee, you still cannot be fired for reasons that are illegal under state and federal law. In these situations, the government has decided to make an exception to the general rule of at-will employment.

For example, if your employer is subject to federal and state laws prohibiting job discrimination (as all but the smallest employers are), you cannot be fired because of certain characteristics, such as your race, religion, or gender. Similarly, you cannot be fired because you have complained about illegal activity, about discrimination or harassment, or about health and safety violations in the workplace. And you cannot be fired for exercising a variety of legal rights, including the right to take family and medical leave, to take leave to serve in the military, or to take time off work to vote or serve on a jury.

Given the above facts however, I don't believe any of these factors apply to your case, and therefore, you would not have a wrongful termination case.

Was there something I could clarify for you or additional information I could provide you about this matter?

Was there anything I could clarify for you or additional information you needed about this question? If so, please reply without rating, and I'm happy to assist you further. Your complete satisfaction is my goal.

If not, please remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. Experts like myself are not employees of this site. We receive no salary and no payment until a customer leaves a positive rating. Thank you.