Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am located in Florida. I paid a mechanic flat rate ( Basic…

Customer Question
I am located in...

I am located in Florida. I paid a mechanic flat rate ( Basic salary or commission whatever is higher) so I am wondering how I should calculate a 6 days of paid vacation

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

It is full time. and there is not formal agreement

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/21/2017
Employment Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

Divide the employee's total wage for the previous week by the number of hours that the employee actually worked, and then multiply times 8 for each vacation day. If you don't know the hours, then divide by the number of days worked in a seven-day workweek, and use that number for each vacation day.

The U.S. Department of Labor calls this calculation the employee's "regular rate."

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Is there any legal rule which address the way to calculate such average. Since vacation is optional in Florida, what happen is the vacation is paid using the basic salary rate?

Under federal law, which applies in Florida, compensation for vacation pay is determined by agreement between the employer and employee. See this link for confirmation. If you have no written policy or agreement, the regular rate that I have described is a reasonable means of calculating vacation pay at the same average that the employee would have received had he/she been working during the same period of time.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Hello again,

I see that you have reviewed my answer, but that you have not provided a rating. Do you need any further clarification concerning my answer, or is everything satisfactory?

If you need further clarification, concerning this matter, please feel free to ask. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) – otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!