Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have been on about 5 interviews which led to 2nd and third…

Customer Question
I have been on...

I have been on about 5 interviews which led to 2nd and third interviews. I was always told I was a good fit and that they are just waiting for the final paperwork to come through. Then never I hear from them and they don't answer my calls or e-mails. I first thought it was my age but then I realized they can figure that out from my resume. The HR department and I never got along at all, and also they did a performance review on me and would not let me see it or sign it. After the run around they closed my branch and I was unemployed. It just seems odd that I would get so close to employment so many times and then nothing. I truly suspect the previous employer to be sabotaging my chances but I don't know. Is there any recourse for me or at least finding out what happened. I have checked my background just to be sure and there isn't anything there. That is why I am questioning this.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Its been a year since they closed the branch and I have been on at least 15 interviews. Also some of the turn downs showed them reappear for the same opening I applied for.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/20/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

ok

Great, thank you! Bear with me a moment while I review…

Thank you so much for your patience. This is a bit of a tough situation. Generally, you cannot be discriminated against on the basis of your age. Additionally, former employers have only a qualified privilege when it comes to speaking with new potential employers regarding the performance of a former employee. This means that they can only give their honest, professional opinion about your abilities and your performance and cannot say things that are wildly irrelevant or untrue to cause you to lose out on these job opportunities.

Thus, if you have a strong reason to believe that you are being denied because of your age, then you may be able to file a complaint with the EEOC against your new potential employers for their discrimination.

Also, e ffective January 1, 2017, the new law in CO will require private sector employers to allow employees to access their personnel files at least once annually. This means if there is anything in your file that you find that is false, then you may be able to determine for sure if this is the case.

What other questions did you have for me?