Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am a former Police Officer who departed my position with…

Customer Question
I am a former Police...
I am a former Police Officer who departed my position with 14 years of service vested. I turn 55 in February 2018 and entitled to my vested retirement, I spoke to the NYS Retirement system about getting my pension and there is no issue. They said I would need to go back to the town I retired from to get my medical benefits. I have been out for 17 years, am I entitled to get medical insurance? does the town I retired from have discretion on this? When I departed service they did provide CORBA but it was too expensive so I got my own insurance. I was recently advised that for a small premium I could have kept my insurance from the town. is this true? Any advice on how to proceed? also. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 5 years ago. Am I entitled to Soc. Sec.benifits?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/20/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Expert Justin, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Legal Expert Justin

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I'll be the Expert assisting you today. You probably will not be able to get medical benefits paid by your former employer. Was this a union position? If so, perhaps the terms of your CBA require the employer to pay for certain benefits.

You may be entitled to some social security benefits if you are disabled and unable to work. However, depending on the size of your pension, you may not be eligible. How much is your pension each month?

Thanks for your reply, not sure what you meant about a union position, I was in the union but not a union representative, my pension is $1,350 a month

Do the terms of your union membership include medical benefits after retirement? If your pension is only $1,350, you may be able to collect a small amount of Social Security disability benefits, but the only way to know for sure is to file an application for benefits. Do you have any more questions today?

Tina, Lawyer