Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I received a cease and desist letter from my former

I received a cease...

I received a cease and desist letter from my former employer. I need to respond and need advice if doing it

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will, full time salaried

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They're making false claims so I want to make sure I respond appropriately. Thank you!

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/19/2017
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, an Illinois licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

What is your specific legal question?

My former employer sent me a letter via their lawyers saying that I have taken clients information and using it to defame them and driving the clients to other businesses.
They want a response saying that I will return it delete any client information that I have, stop talking about them in a negative light and that I will not contact any of my former clients, employees etc.
I need to respond. I have not done such thing and whatever client info I have is because I know them socially.
I have attached the document

Did you sign a non solicitation or non compete?

Did you take any of the confidential information they refer to?

Not specifically. No non compete for sure. The non solicitation is probably within the handbook. I am not soliciting anyone for anything. I have made it a point to distance myself from the company and anyone related to it. People have reached out to me and I have diplomatically answered it was my reasons that I left.
I do not have any information. I deleted all digital files that I may have had after I left. I did not want to have any of those. Whatever info I have is because I have it socially.

Thank you for the additional information.

This letter is a scare tactic designed to intimidate you. You do not have to respond. However, if you want to respond, I would keep it simple and not go into detail.

You can state that you deny soliciting any EBC members, making any false statement about EBC and having any proprietary EBC information in your possession.

Without any details of the specific information, contacts or comments it is impossible to respond in any greater detail and you also want to avoid giving them specific information they do not already have. So, do not say you have deleted the information.

BTW, I met my wife at EBC in the '80s.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

I figured it was a scare tactic. I just need to respond by Wednesday. I will keep it simple and direct like you mentioned.
It's a great place and I loved working there until the past year. I work it didn't end add my plan was to retire from there. Now I am starting over.
If you feel that there is something else more specific that I should mention please let me know. Should I engage a lawyer to draw up my response?
Thanks!

Just give a general denial along the lines of what I said. Do not get specific in the initial response.

I doubt they are going to sue you, but if they get aggressive you will want to retain an attorney if they file suit or start contacting your current employer.

You do not need an attorney at this stage to make a general denial.

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!

Loren, Lawyer
Great! I will do that.And yes, I will leave a very favorable review for you reflective of my excellent experience!

Thank you for using JA. Best of luck to you!