Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am being accused of violence of the workplace that happen…

Customer Question
I am being accused...

I am being accused of violence of the workplace that happen in 2012 and a letter came anonymously in 2017. Am my job are giving me 3 days off is there a statue of limitations

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New Jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/19/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Patrick, Esq.
Good evening and welcome. Unfortunately, no, there is no statute of limitations. That refers to the timeframe within which criminal or civil legal action could be brought against you. This is employment action. And since employment is at will absent an agreement to the contrary, your employer can choose to terminate your employment at any time for virtually any reason, including an old incident if they so choose. Unfortunately all you can do is cooperate with your employer's investigation and attempt to reason with them.
Forgot to mention Union job full time

Thank you. If you are in a union your employer may not be able to terminate you at will. They would be limited to terminating you for reasons authorized by your union contract. That said, unless your union contract specifically includes a clause prohibiting your employer from taking adverse employment action against you based on conduct occurring before a certain date, they would not be limited in any way when it comes to considering old incidents. So in that sense the answer still remains the same.

Again if there is anything more I can do for you just let me know. It's my pleasure....