Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Our manager of the department (RN) overdosed on

Customer Question
Our manager of the...

Our manager of the department (RN) overdosed on Benzodiazepines and Alcohol, was placed on a ventilator, and was made an Involuntary Commitment. She came back to work the next week!! No reprimand and no suspension of her license! Our Director "swept it under the rug" and told employees that if he heard it mentioned they would be fired!!! Nothing was reported to the board of nursing!!!

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

North Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full Time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The Director not only overlooked this, but he is bullying the department nurses to go to our Sister Hospital to work in their ER that is totally laid out different from ours! We do not know where anything is! He says this will start January 1st! We have to go "orient" on our own time! This is a patient safety issue! I have never even walked thru this ED and I am expected to work there??? New employees get 6 week orientation to the department!

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/19/2017
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 7 months ago
John, Employment Lawyer

You could report the nurse matter to the board, and then if you are terminated you could file a wrongful termination claim. It is indeed illegal to terminate someone for reporting a matter to a state agency. Likewise you can report the hospital to the medical board and recieve the same protection. The protection you recieve is unfortunately only if you get fired...so it's not a great scenario, but that's the relief you're entitled to under the law.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. If you do not rate the answer positively, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.