Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My son works for an insurance company that was split off…

Customer Question
My son works for...

My son works for an insurance company that was split off from a larger firm, leaving 100 employees. He was paying $40 a month for benefits. He got an email on Friday, saying in January his plan would go up to over $300 a month. He can't afford that and will have to find another job. Is an increase of this magnitude legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida. He is a f/t employee.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I am not the employee so I don't know what the agreement reads but he is f/t permanent.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/18/2017
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Is the increase being applied to all or only him? What is the reason for it?
to all employees. The company was split off from a much larger company which was sold to an even larger company, leaving a sole company here in FL with 100 employees. They all, to my knowledge, received an email indicating their premium for their benefits package would be increased 8 fold - maybe some more or less, depending on their plan. The company is much smaller and I suspect that they can't absorb the costs of the former plans when they were part of a much larger corporation.
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
If applied to all on notice and does not affect past and earned benefits it is legal. if I can elaborate on anything, just ask me. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
It is effective 1.1.18. Does not affect past benefits.
I am afraid I do not see anything illegal about a prospective increase where the reduced rate was not guaranteed in writing.
I am sorry to be bearer of bad news.
Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!