Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am an independent contractor as a certified nurse

I am an independent...

I am an independent contractor as a certified nurse assistant and obtain contracts through an agency. My question is can hospice tell the agency that their contractor cannot care for client they also care for

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

We do not have a HR, the agency called me and said I was relieved of duty with this cleint due to hospice calling them and saying I was not qualified and I have been caring for client 3 years

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Independent contractor with agency (visiting angels)I am not contracted with hospice

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I do not think so, I fulfilled all my obligations as required and the family was very upset I was let go

11/18/2017
Patrick, Esq.
Hello and welcome. This certainly sounds unfair, however there is nothing unlawful about the sort of business practice you have described. You can attempt to reason with your agency, but ultimately if they want to do what the hospice is insisting they are free to do it. It's unfair but there is no requirement of fairness in business and sometimes these things unfortunately happen. I am truly sorry.
Patrick, Esq.