Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am a software engineer consultant. I started on a new

Customer Question
I am a software...

I am a software engineer consultant. I started on a new project with Starbucks in Downtown Seattle in 8/18/2017. I contacted the labor office because I am not getting any paid sick safe and sick time leave (PSST) even after contacting my employer many times by phone and email, but still not getting an answer from them for more than a month now. The labor office confirmed that I should be getting this paid leave, but they will not be able to follow up on this with my employer since my claim doesn’t meet their enforcement priorities; I make a lot more than $24/hour or $50,000/year.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Washington state Seattle

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

It is at will, I am paid hourly

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that is it

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 day by:
11/19/2017
Employment Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for your post, but I don't see where you have asked a legal question. However, if you are asking how you get the money that you are owed by your employer, then the answer is that you will have to file suit against the employer if they won't pay you and the State will not assist in collecting the money. In Washington, you can file a small claims court suit without an attorney for this money if the amount is less than $5000. If more than that, you will need to hire an attorney to file suit for you.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. I will be away from my computer for most of the day, however, I will respond as soon as do become available. If no further assistance is needed, then if you could take a minute to respond to this answer and let me know that I covered your question and also leave a positive rating in the ratings box on this page, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 19th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me, even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.

Marsha411JD, Lawyer