Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was hired by a non profit agency, at interview I was told…

Customer Question
I was hired by...

I was hired by a non profit agency, at interview I was told the wage was $12.00 per hour. Before I started they let me know it was $13.00 hr. Seven hours per day, 35 hours per week. After a few months they said I can work more than 7 hrs per day, put it on my time sheet, but I will still be paid for only 7 hours per day, I may not work more than 40 hours per week. Since I am hired, the work has increased because they added 3 properties to manage, and they will add more in the coming months. I am being pushed to consistently work more than 35 hours per week, it is impossible to keep up with everything working only 35 hours. each week. I feel I was duped at hiring. Thinking I was going to work 35 hours per week with a hourly wage. I would like to have back pay, I do not want to be fired, I want to be paid for the hours I work. They value my work but they are taking advantage of me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I work in Buffalo NY

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time. I do not know what 'at will' means, there is no union.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

At one point, my supervisor told me not to put all the hours I work on the time sheet because it makes it look like I cannot keep up with my work.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/18/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

You are entitled to be paid for all the hours that you actually work. So, you absolutely would have a claim for back pay for the hours that you worked but weren't paid for. You can collect what you are owed by filing a wage claim with the Division of Labor Standards using this form here. Filing a wage claim is a form of "protected activity," which means that your employer cannot retaliate against you for it, and any such retaliation would give rise to an entirely separate claim for damages.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

Hello again,

I just wanted to followup with you to make sure that you did not have any further questions or concerns. For some unknown reason, the experts are not always getting replies or ratings (which is how we get credit for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not yet received either. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the site administrator.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed.

Very best wishes.

Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer