Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My girlfriend works for a company 10 months, now they left…

Customer Question
My girlfriend works for...

My girlfriend works for a company 10 months , now they left out of work for a week and called her back 5 days later to tell her she has no spot at where she was working anymore

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Instead of firing her they said they can give a job with another company

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Is that legal

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Full time

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/17/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Unfortunately, this is not against the law. The reason is due to the fact that employment is generally "at will" absent an express agreement to the contrary. This means the employment relationship can be discontinued at any time for virtually any non-discriminatory reason. Your girlfriend can see about the job with the other company, or she can seek alternative more reliable employment somewhere else. However, since the employer is not engaging in unlawful conduct there would be no legal remedy for the situation you describe. I am very sorry.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

they can play this game instead of firing her

"Firing" does not have any legal significance, it's just a word to describe no longer giving someone work. Your girlfriend could look at this as her being "fired" if she likes. It does not make any difference under the law. If it's unemployment benefits you are concerned about, she should be able to apply right now, without any "firing" notice from her employer. Again, all that the law concerns itself with is whether someone is being employed or not being employed.

I hope this clarifies. Again if there is anything more I can do for you just let me know. It's my pleasure....