Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can a company let you go just fir aligations of a crim out…

Customer Question
Can a company let...

Can a company let you go just fir aligations of a crim out side of work before any convictions?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Washington

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Filed in the courts yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The company let my son go when he said he might need to take his 5 1/2 weeks vacation for personal reasons this was the day before a courts hearing we're at the hearing it was time served and they still haven't convicted or pleaded anything he was just letting them know ahead of time but the day before when he asked about the vacation time they let him go that day and said to reapply but after the court hearing the next day he went back to work and they said that they weren't hiring back

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 day by:
11/19/2017
Employment Lawyer: Amber E., Attorney replied 7 months ago
Amber E.
Amber E., Attorney

Washington is an at-will state, which means that an employer can terminate employment at any time, with or without notice and with or without cause, so long as it is not for a reason prohibited under the law (such as based on race, religion, etc.).