Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was hired full time bookkeeping for two gas stations.

Customer Question
No Lawyer's Assistant: Is...

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I was hired full time bookkeeping for two gas stations

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Hired 8/2014 ok, The owners are 79 &78, they recently sold one gas station, but opened up a candy/ice cream shop where the existing car wash was. Ok, they have one son named Robert (Robbie Walsh) who just got out of federal prison for armed robbery and drugs OK apparently the son has "Re-habbed" and now walks with JESUS" The owners put him right to work as a maintenance man for the company. He works in the candy shop at times. I work in a house down the street that they own. I work independently and do not need supervision ok

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/17/2017
Employment Lawyer: Damien Bosco, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Let me know your question so I can see if I how I can help you.

Hello, I am a 56 yr old white female who is employed by Robert & Rosiland Walsh, owners of Northwoods Exxon & Sweets & More candy shop, located on Ashley Phosphate Rd, North Charleston SC. They own a house 4 doors down from gas station in which they use for accounting storage and is the house I work in by myself, unsupervised. Security cameras were installed after the last bookkeeper was discharged.Ok so briefly, I touched on the subject of the owners "son" who just got out of Federal Prison after 13+ years for armed robbery and drugs and frankly I don't know what else. It was his parents Robert & Rosiland Walsh who were instrumental in having him sent to prison....apparently he robbed his own parents! OK so he just got out and is walking with Jesus, he has seen the errors of his ways. So the house I work in is located at***** North Charleston, SC. I have been employed as a full charge bookkeeper for two companies owned by the Walsh's-Northwoods Exxon & Oakbrook Exxon. The Oakbrook has been sold, so remove that. Ok there was a car wash on the Northwooods site which recently has been transformed into a candy/ice cream shop. The only son got out of prison after 13 yrs and was immediately employed as the maintenance man for the store and works as a cashier at candy shop.
The building I work needed some grass cutting and hedge trimming ok. My spouse did it for them, then they decided to let the son do the work. Well that was maybe Oct 2017, the son came over to my office.....The Walshs gave him a key to the building I work in by myself, a building with no door chime..but there are 2 entry doors with deadbolts. When I came into office Monday morning it was apparent he had trimmed hedges because he left a couple piles of trimmings, which are still there today. So I always take any trash and recycling out on a Friday well Monday when I came in my trash was full of 3 empty soda bottles (which I may add they were my personal property kept in a mini fridge) Ok also am empty can of "Sex on the Beach" - that's some alcoholic beverage, empty pak of Newports and a Bojangles bag.
Let me note, when I arrive at office the first thing I have to do is deactivate the alarm from ADT, well his little visit to my office did not include setting the alarm or locking the two deadbolts when exiting the bldg. I put contents of my trash on the bathroom counter and took picture. I sent the picture to the owners and was told they had to give Robbie a key so he could use the power for electric hedge trimmer. OK, so now I am feeling a little scared that he was in my office where it is my job to maintain, payroll, personnel files, tax files, business licenses just about everything. Like I said I texted the Walshs aka owners the picture. I got no reply except they gave him the key.
Ok next Monday rolls around and I come in to office, yet again alarm was not set and one of the 2 deadbolts not locked, that could only mean somebody must have been in there, Sure enough there was an empty condom wrapper on my copier.

Are you saying you are in fear for your safety at work? I am attempting to find out what your legal question is.

again I took photo and sent to owners. No reply...no locks changed, nothing. Then I got sick, very ill, ER 2 times, Allergist, Primary care MD and tests after tests, I was breaking out in full blown hives, I went thru 5 epi pens, countless steroids, and anti biotics. I then called the owner Mrs Walsh and asked if I could speak with her, I told her I no longer feel safe in the environment at work knowing the convict son had keys. SO I missed my share of work, had MD note to return to work 11/15/17, went to office and locks had been changed!!! TEXED MY EMPLOYER AS TO WHY? They claim I resigned because all my personal items were gone. I never quit but yes removed my personal stuff and as to why well that's my business. So yeah, now I have no job.
Respectfully,
Andrea Bow***@******.***(###) ###-####

Sorry to hear about all this. I will open your question to other experts who may be able to further assist you in this situation. No need to respond now. Another expert who can help you will respond to this question.

Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 5 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR, as your previous contributor left.

I am afraid that under SC law, employment without written contract to the contrary is deemed at will. This means the employer can terminate you for no reason at all or any reason not based only on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin and your sole recourse is filing for unemployment. Unfortunately, while they may have interpreted you taking your belongings from the house because you did not want them around their felon son as quitting, that is NOT how unemployment would view it, since you never indicated to them you no longer would work for them. So, in unemployment they could claim you quit voluntarily, but there is no proof you did and as such you would be entitled to benefits, but I am afraid that is all you have a right to claim against the employer under these at will employment conditions.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney