Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I work for a public school system. My boss claims she has…

Customer Question
I work for a...

I work for a public school system. My boss claims she has complaints against me but never showed me. She has now cut my hours, only for me to find out that she is bringing in someone else. Is this right or can something be done about this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Louisiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Part time. Things has been said that she doesn't have enough on me to fire me and she cut my hours to get me to quit so she could bring the other person in my place.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I know of.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/17/2017
Employment Lawyer: DamienJD, Attorney replied 9 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney.

Are you a member of a Union? Or do you have an employment contract?

I am contract.

In the written contract is there anything in it that states that your hours can be cut because of complaints against you or similar language?

Nope. I even reread my contract and nowhere does it state this.

Hold, please.

Okay. Because you have a contract, you are in a stronger position to argue your case. If the supervisor is coming up with reasons to cut your hours to hire someone else, you can claim breach of contract. We can continue to discuss. You can ask followup questions if you want to do so.

I have been to the superintendent of the district and I stated my problem and he has not gotten back with me yet. That was like two weeks ago. I was just wanting to know if I had a case before I went further up the chain with this.

Yes. If someone is cutting an employee's hours based on alleged complaints and that employee has a contract, then that employee would have a right to discovery (if this went to court), and therefore, would have a right to ask questions and attempt to resolve the issue (i.e., request back the hours) prior to bringing a breach of contract action. We can continue to discuss if you want to do so.

Every time that I have tried talking to the principal about this matter, she always pushes it off and tells me she don't have time to discuss with me. The lady that they are bringing me to take over my hours came in my room bragging about it yesterday morning, that is how i found out about them bringing someone else in. I feel like I am stuck and no where to turn.

I understand. Has our conversation allowed you to better understand your rights in this matter? Possibly, you may want to get a local attorney to write them a letter.