Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

ÍI worked in a group home for mentally ill/handicapped

Customer Question
205;I worked in a...

205;I worked in a group home for mentally ill/handicapped individuals. About 3 months ago I was accused of abusing a mentally handicapped schizophrenic man. When I was fired, abuse was the reason given. However, that was not the real reason. I was fired because of something I said to a state inspector that got a couple of managers in trouble. All I did was answer the inspectors questions honestly, I was not trying to get anyone in trouble. At the time I had not been with the company very long. After that I was told to never answer an inspectors questions without calling a manager first. Months later I came across a document related to that inspectors visit. Two signatures were on the document. My supervisors signature and my signature. My signature was forged. I believe this document was shown to the inspector to convince him I was lying. I can't prove that, but why else would they forge my name?
When I was denied unemployment I requested an in person hearing. It was scheduled for sixty minutes. This hearing is now going into it's second day. I subpoenaed for my managers to show, so I could question them under oath. I've learned a lot in the first day of the hearing. Last year the client I "abused" attacked me. It was unprovoked, and he's a big dude. I was injured and missed days of work because of it.
Company policy is that pictures be taken of any visible injuries, they should be signed, dated, filed and kept forever. Pictures were taken of me because my injuries were very visible. I issued a subpoena for the pictures as evidence for the hearing. The company is denying that they were ever taken. I have hospital records detailing my injuries.
During my employment I was punished several times. Suspended without pay, issued a disiplainary paycut that lasted 10 months (policy is 90 days) stripped of certification, it goes on and on. They were trying to get me to quit my job. Company policy is that you can't punish an employee without a corrective action form. Those forms have to be signed by a manager and the employee. And the employee is given the right to appeal.
I subpeonaed all write ups in my personnel file for the hearing. The company is saying there are none. I was never told I was written up, I was never given a chance to appeal, and all those punishments were unjust. I'm sure that at one time corrective action forms were in my file. I don't know how punishments could be approved without them. If they were then my name was forged on it. If i were to tell everything I was put through this post would fill a book.
These people have accused me of abuse. That is something that could ruin my life. I know I'm innocent, but innocent people go to jail too. It's constant stess day after day and I can't find a job. I'm literally on the verge of losing everything Ive got. Meanwhile those idiots are still collecting paychecks.
I want to see them fired, I want to see them imprisoned, and I want every penny I can get. But I can't afford a lawyer. What are my odds of seeing any of those things happen? And how can I make it happen?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

P north carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will full time

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/17/2017
Employment Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

I am very sorry to hear this. It sounds like you are handling the unemployment hearing very well. They may issue a right to sue letter. this would help you to obtain a lawyer who may be interested in taking this case on a contingency basis not only for the harassment, retaliation and wrongful termination claims but also possible regulatory violations and fraud on government documents. That is called a whistleblower action. My suggestion would be to contact the state or local bar association and ask for whistleblower referrals.